Base course

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grassyfras, Nov 18, 2004.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I was asked to do a couple of walls and said I would do them durring winter. Im worried about what happens when the ground freezes. Can you still build a wall? This is for family and small walls. I know I dont have enough experience yet but these are good jobs to learn on.

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I wouldn't put in a wall, walk, etc once the frost got below your starting point. You don't want to be building on top of frost.

Once the frost does start to set in, any digging will have to be done with a machine. That will also make it difficult to use you excavated material (frozene chunks) as backfill.

3. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

You can still do the walls, just make sure that when you are setting your base course, that the ground, most impostantly, the base isn't frozen. When it is frozen it will sit at a different height.

4. MowmoneyMowproblems

MowmoneyMowproblems LawnSite Member

I would stay away from doing walls during winter times unless you know for a fact that it is going to be a mild weekend or something. If you construct the wall with a frozen base, come spring time its going to sink. You should also be very aware of drainage behind the wall. Water weighs a hell of a lot more than dirt so having a lot of water trapped behind your wall is detramental.

5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys. Ill probbly just do it early spring to avoid the frozen ground. I work slow when I dont know exactly what im doing.