base for brick walkway

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by hewitt64, Jun 18, 2001.

1. hewitt64

hewitt64 LawnSite Member

i was wondering well actually comparing how you guys do the base and screeding for the walkways? I usually dig about 10 in and level it with runnercrush or driveway mix after finding the top grade for the brick. then i use condunt and level it before screeding stone dustand doing the final pitch for water drainage .do you guys use lasar levels or transits when doing walkways?Just wondering how you guys do your walkways?

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

There's a old thread titled 'Patio Base' - If you run a quick search for that you'llget a good basis for comparison. I would imagine that most people in the thread approach walkways in a very similar way to patios.

3. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Lasers are indispensible for patios and retaining walls. But with walkways you are dedicated to the terrain. Since you must pretty well follow grade a laser isn't much use, and you're better off with a 4' level to level side to side. Only exception is to shoot grade if you need steps. Our local bigtime landscaper installed a running bond walkway for a high end customer in a steep grade with no steps. Looks like you need ropes and pitons to get up the thing.

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

Yes, as SCL says, for walkways most of the time you have to run it with the terrain. If you don't, you end up needing a lot of fill along the edges or need to cut back the ground along the edges.

After a few walks, you begin to get a good feel for grade. I haven't used a level on a walk for a long time now. Just good old eye of sight work very well. Off course, you sometimes have to accomodate some drainage issues and may need some fine tuning.

You sound to be right on track with your method though. Everyone does things a little different here, but it sounds like you have a good understanding, which is the key.

steveair

5. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Hewitt64,

The guys are right. If you follow the natural grade you'll be fine 95% of the time.

For walkways we excavate 8 inches down from the top of the pavers. We use base, which is approved for road building. Then we use one inch of sand to lay the pavers on.

We do not screed the crushed stone. We set up string lines. the string represents the top of the pavers. We then, work off the line with rakes and tampers. We stay between 3 to 4 inches under the line. Depends on the paver thickness.

We do screed our sand.

We use a transit for our walkways. However, if you are a one-man-band, a lazer is sweet to have in the tool bin.

Peace,

Rex

6. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Your doing it right! Using a laser tranit is a must for us 95% of the time. You should always use it on a patio and on walkways the majority of the time. We usually put in 6" of base material and 1.5" of #10 screenings on top of that.

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Using CONDUIT pipe DON"T!!! electrictal pipe like conduit is too thin, cheap but thin, it bends too easy. Find some iron pipe, gas pipe non-galvanized or galavanzied water pipe work the best. it will stay straight longer. The problem with conduit is as you screed the sand there might be a small bend in the conduit this allows sand to get under the ends of the pipe raising your grade at the ends.

CCLC 1.5" of screenings? I suggest you read more on proper paver installation! limestone screenings have a problem they degrade over time. Proper base install calls for 1" of a washed sharp concrete sand screeded over your 3/4"- compacted base.

We use lasers a lot, one thing to remember is to have them serviced each year, they are tough but one good fall or miss-handleing can throw them off.

Does anyone here keep a spare transit or builders level just in case?

8. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Well, I'm going to join in now...

I have yet to be convinced of the efficacy of sand over screenings. I had a boatload of stuff written here but the posting system didn't take it, and I can't remember all I wrote to rewrite it...

I believe the reasoning for my method is noted in the old patio base thread from awhile ago. I haven't heard arguments yet that would sway me from my method. We were forced to use sand in an install a month or so ago, as it was far away from where my usual materials were available. I can't see how that method will yeild a longer lasting base than all stone.

We use conduit - as you should with any pipe, check it before you use it. If it's straight, use it. As for screeding, proper screeding involves using your lats, and not upper body weight. You should be pulling laterally along the pipe, not pushing down.

Bringing 200' of iron pipe to my jobsites would give me monkey arms in about a week!

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Stonehenge, we rarely carry more than 60 to 70' of pipe. before our hardscape trailers. We had some conduit pipe flattened by a skid steer, it was straight but kinda oval in the center :) ,didn't work too well, now it's allways iron pipe, 3/4" id, and you can run it over :)

I'll not go too far on this, we have repaired a few sites done with limestone screenings, I don't know if they where put in right or just thrown in so I'll say little more.

10. CHC

CHC LawnSite Member

It seems that the issue of what to use as a setting layer,ie; stone dust or contractors sand is a major item of discussion everywhere. ICPI and the manufacturers all say sand; due to particle shape, etc. We have used both with equal success. Altho', in all honesty, we didn't know a lot of the details that were involved until we took the ICPI training. I suspect this will be one of those issues that goes on forever with little or no absolute resolution; sort of like Ford vs Chevy. For now we are going with the sand, but are monitoring the results.