Base For Driveway

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by michelle1181, Feb 4, 2008.

1. michelle1181

michelle1181 LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me how much base you use for a 2000 sq ft paver driveway with 10-12" of base

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Without figuring for compaction it looks like about 75 Cubic yards to me. What do you muse for base ans how much does it compact?? I'd probably use about 85 yards, give or take.

3. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My guess is 100-120 tons of QP and thats without compacting. figure 1 ton covers 100sq ft at 2 inchs thick, without compacting so my guess would be 120-140 tons. Here QP is kinda expensive about $20 a ton. so $3,000 just for the base.

4. michelle1181

Thanks for the info. Also what do you normally charge for a 2000 sq ft driveway. Any info would be great!

5. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

honestly, and i am not trying to break ur balls here, but if you dont know how to figure out how much base you need or how to figure out what you need to charge to make money, maybe a 2000sf driveway is out of ur scope of work.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking the very same thing.

In addition, WHY would you need a compacted 12" base, you putting this over swampland?

7. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

hahahahaha this is funny, i agree a 2000 sq ft driveway is NOOOOO small job. depending on the pavers, cuts, and design i dont see this being any less than a $22,000 job.lol i usually use 8-10 inches of base for driveways. You never know what will drive over it. First off if its a sandy area thats already base material so you dont have to go to crazy.

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

9. michelle1181

First I am not a homeowner - do you honestly think a homeowner would go thru all this trouble to get on this forum to check quotes????? We had been charging per sq ft for driveways but wanted to make sure it was accurate.

10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes
    ok whats your website...