base for material bins?

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by CNYScapes, Dec 22, 2007.

1. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

Those are nice bins that were poured with poured walls. I go for the big blocks on 6" pad. I'm with Picasso on being afraid to knock the poured one over. However that is a cleaner look. My bins are between 6 and 8 feet tall. As I noted in the other post, the rebar and wire doesn't hold up too well along an 8' tall wall of blocks on the back edge of a 6" pad. We are experimenting now with a 18" to 2" deep footing under the pad, the width of the wall along the run. Hopefully that will work. It took about 8 years for the first set of pours to crack enough to need maintenance.

2. Monty

Monty LawnSite Member

when I built my bins we excavated the area out bought the 2x2x6 concrete blocks set them on a base of limestone and then put asphalt down for the base. We hauled the asphalt ourseves and spread it by hand then rented a small roller form our local rental yard. have held up quite well for the past 7 years.

3. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

CNY.. Nice new shop area you got there .. went by the other day looks great!!! Hope you have a great season!!!!

4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, We are in a rush to get things done for a spring opening. As long as we dont get blasted with snow for the next month, we will be ready April 1st!

5. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

What....No pics??:confused: