1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Base for Paver Patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by BeautifulBlooms, Mar 18, 2007.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

We have removed an old concrete patio from our backyard and found sand underneath (at least 4-6 inches of it). Does that need to be removed before applying the base or can that go under the base and not cause any problems with shifting or anything? And how much base do you put down and compact?

Is 1/4 crushed limestone with fines (AKA Traffic Bond) an ok base to use? I know it compacts well.
  2. meador56

meador56 LawnSite Member

My experience is 4 inchs dense grade limestone compacted to 3 then fabric then 1 to 1.5 inches of sand.
  3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

The sand will not compact, but may have an aggregate under it already. If it does not have a base, then it must be removed to prevent settling in the future. Your aggregate (or bas) should contain 3/4" down to fines (limestone) and be compacted to 85% density in 1" lifts (layers) to provide proper foundation for pavers.
  4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Team Green - You better check your facts. ICPI calls for 98% proctor density. As far as the lift thickness....how do you know what he will be using for compaction? I compact in 4" lifts, but I use a larger machine.