Base Info

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by coxlandscaping, Feb 25, 2007.

1. coxlandscaping

coxlandscaping LawnSite Member

Were going to redo the landscaping and at this house in the one pic we will remove the trees on the right side of the current drive plus all of the concrete this driveway has been in for quite some time my question is do we still need 8" of compacted base or could I get away with say 5" to 6" of compacted base ( Crusher Run ) :usflag:

DSCF1999.jpg

DSCF2004.jpg

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on the subsoil, I would say you will need anywhere from 8"-12" if installed w/ geotextile separation fabric.

Chris

3. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

The reason all of that concrete has cracked is because the base may not be adequate, so don't scrimp and make sure your work lasts longer than the concrete. You will know once you start removing concrete.

4. coxlandscaping

I would say being here in TN the subsoil will be red clay that is what most of the builders here will do is pack red clay form and pour

5. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Yes you could probabbly get away with 6" if there is suitable soil underneath and if you used fabric.

Personally I would never put 6" under any drive, except for golf carts.

Are you guys doing the drive or do you need someone to do it?

6. coxlandscaping

Were going to do the work actually we did the landscape back years ago of course the original home owners let it get a little run down but the people that live there now are pretty gung ho kind of people that don’t mind getting a little dirty we are going to redo the landscaping some hardscaping with some retaining wall block and Irrigation and of course the drive if they decide to go that route I mainly wanted know if we could cut a little cost of the base rock with out sacrificing the quality of the work

7. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

If I were going to save cost on a drive I would do it with the paver rather than the base.

8. coxlandscaping

That’s true I don’t like to compromise the quality of work that we do but it’s getting tougher here there is so many people that are in this business that just don’t care what kind of work that there doing they will cut your throat if they thought that it would get them the job/bid etc. Most of the home owners just look at the bottom line and not what they are getting for the money which most of the time is junk