1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Base Question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by kemmer, Jun 30, 2008.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

Working on a monument for the fire department, i've a attached the final rendering. We dug a foundation and poured a slab with 2 pillars coming up. The bottom of the foundation will be 3' below final grade. We will be be building a 2' tall raises planter unilock block. DPW fill the hole with dirt but it was wet and is still a little wet due to storms. I went to compact it and it wouldn't compact well. My question is, should i wait for it to dry out and try to compact it again? Then dig 6-8" down and install a QP base? or get 24 tons of QP and fill the whole hole? Or the other option is dig a trench where the wall will be down to the foundation level about 2-3' and fill and compact with QP and then set the block?. That orange line on the block is going to be the final grade

Note: we will be installing a 6" tall curb in the roadway to help raise the grade to that level

Heres the drawings to see it better
    http://www.haworthfire.org/monument/Haworth_Fire_Dept_Monument.pdf

Heres some pictures
    [​IMG]

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

2. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

If it were me. I would dig the trench and add base. No way I would wait for it to dry out.

3. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

That looks like a fun project by the way. Good luck with it.

4. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice. Did you design that? Should make a water feature out of the fire hydrants.....just kidding.

5. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow. Just took a look at your monument pdf. Excellent drawings. What software are you running?

6. kemmer

Ya thats what i was thinking, dig a trench down and fill it with qp for the base. ya it is my design, i used vectorworks for the drawings and adobe illustrator for the renderings, i needed to get it checked out by a engineer because the ring thats suspended weighs around 600lbs. were just waiting on the steel then will see some progress.

7. Dountman

Dountman LawnSite Member
    from MA

Looking good Kemmer. Construction details look good as usual. I bet you could get an A in Mike's class with those.

8. kemmer

hey whats up colin, hows summer treating you