baseball field

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I am bidding on a little leauge field. I have done many residentals. What would you do different on a baseball field?
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

a few things come to mind.

2.large pipe downsized properly
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't have to be a well.

On a lot of commercial installs, we just got a 2" tap directly off the 8" street main and had plenty of water.
  4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Just speaking from my region.

Is that allowed?
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sure. Dedicated irrigation taps are commonplace. Mucho insurance is also in order, for when junior trips over one of the heads you installed, and mummy and daddy look to blame you for junior not becoming the next Alex Rodriguez.
  6. Design the system around your available water source.
    We did a soccer field last year using a 1" meter providing 60gpm
    and designed at 40-45gpm. We used 4 zones with 10 Hunter I-20s.
    1 1/2" Rain Bird PEB's with a 1-1/2" main and 1-1/2", 1" & 3/4" laterals.
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I've done many. Make sure you keep your design head-to-head as much as possible. Here's what I used on the last LL field I installed with 2" POC:

1. Between base lines and fence/dugouts, both sides up to where the infield/outfield arc starts... MP-Rotators as one zone.

2. Hunter I-20s on the infield grass; separate zone for control.

3. Hunter I-20s on the infield/outfield arc; separate zone for control.

4. Hunter I-20s in the outfield NOT mixing adjustable heads with full circle heads.

You'll have to play with the outfield a little since although all LL infields should be somewhat the same the outfields will vary depending on how far the local league makes it to the home run fence. AND... if a home run fence is permanent during the baseball season you'll need to have the league mark it's route so you can install/adjust sprinklers along the fencing arc. If the league does not use a home run fence then these sprinklers can be part of the full circle outfield zones... CAUTION... I'd still try and set them where an imaginary home run fence would go because if they change to a fence in the future your system would be somewhat screwed.

We used #6 and #8 nozzles for the I-20s on our last LL field installation.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'd want to use the rotors with the soil cup on the cover. There must be some generic system layouts for ballfields.
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Most major sprinkler manufacturers have CAD layouts for different sports fields.