Baseball fields bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Sep 28, 2003.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I have been asked to bid on a baseball field complex consisting of 6 fields. 5 small fields.....200 ft fence....and one big field 320 foot fence......For those who service these type of props....do u cut them weekly or 2 times a week......4 or 5 ferts? weekly charge for picking up trash and weeding infields etc ?Just need some help putting this together...if I get it, I don't need any work for next year?

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have never bid on a playing field before, but I have worked for our school district maintenance dept. and we cut kept the fields. To keep from having to use the grasshopper with the bagger on it, we cut the competyition fields on a three day rotation. the practice fields once per week. Believe me, it will end up saving time to mow it more often than if you wait too long.

3. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

in season we mow two times a week. otherwise you need to double cut and rake the field. off season, once a week, cut alittle higher. policing, weed control, and turf management was figured into the bid.

4. dmk395

from Ma

Just curious up north here we cut for 8-9 months....how many cuts to u bill for

5. SLC1234

SLC1234 LawnSite Member

Late April, May, June and the first part of July we cut every four days, or else they will have to be raked and bagged ect. July, August we cut once per week. Then in September, October it is back to every four days. Just remeber that the infields have to be cut shorter than the outfields, and sometimes certain coaches have special requests depending on the type of team they are, faster, slower, ect. As for garbage that is a big problem around the bleechers, ect., weedwacking should be minimal, maybe some PGR's or roundup around the fence lines. As for the number of cuts that will vary from year to year, this year we had a ton of cuts and last year with the lack of rain we were a little short on cuts. They are a lot of work, but is good money and kinda fun being able to try different mowing patterns ect on them. Just my two cents.

www.schmidtlawncare.com

6. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

How much are you guys chargeing per cut?

7. dmk395

from Ma

I am not sure yet, gonna go measure tomorrow. What do you charge per field, for say 200 ft little league field?

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

My dad used to own a sports complex. All we had to do is cut the outfields. I would charge around $60 per field for this. Our fields were 300ft. But the infields were turned over and dragged enough that we never had anything growing in them. Also these were all dirt infields.

Do you have to do all maintenance to the field. I don't understand why the same person dragging, and chalking them can't cut them too.

Now if you have to maintain the whole operation. That is a whole new ball game.

This is what we did daily, we would take a box scraper and level all area around the bases. Home base was alway a major wreck after a night of ball. (by the way these were softball fields). then we would drag them then chalk them and then water them. we used a water nozzle that sprayed larger droplets to penetrate the dirt instead of just misting down the dust. Then was our secret of having the softest infield around (it's all in how you water) Plus we planned our watering to finish just as the players started showing up to play the first game.

We would cut the outfields twice a week. I maintained all playing fields myself, but we had helpers that cut all grass areas outside the field, plus these guys would help water at the end of the day.

Also, Do you have to maintain any grass area outside of the fields?

I guess my bid on these would be about $300 if all I was doing is cutting the outfields. You should be able to figure your treatment programs by cost. If you have a 60" ZTR you should be able to do all these in 3-4 hours.