Baseball grass how to

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, May 9, 2011.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Presented by Scotts on ESPN. Tuesday night, May 10, at 9 pm.
    Scotts presents a show with interviews about how they do it. That is, how do baseball's famous groundskeepers keep their grass so green and perfect.
    Curious. I plan to watch.

2. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to watch this as well. I know a few guys that work at Turner Field. The super has an endless budget and large staff. When you think about it, they have a small area to maintain. However, that area must be perfect.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

No cable access here... Pay spcial attention to what kind of soil they are using, if you would plz, so that we have a context in which to understand everything they do... :)

4. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

This was on back in the fall. I watched it and it was awesome!

5. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Most are a sand mix the root are at least a foot or more long.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that all new pro fields have perched water table systems like putting greens plus heating and cooling systems and even sub-air systems to suck out the excess moisture. I did nutrient testing for the new Cleveland Browns stadium during construction and they had it all. Looking forward to the program!

7. Smallaxe

How do they get to be a foot long is the big question... :)

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I watched, but they spent a lot of unneeded time dragging and spraying water on the dirt infield.
    They never revealed any secrets about fertilizers, micronutrients, controlling poa, deep roots or the cultivars used.

9. wrager

wrager LawnSite Member
    from ATL

Fun factoid, IIRC John Smoltz's father was the groundskeeper for Tiger stadium when they crushed everyone in '84. I had just graduated from Mich. State.

10. Smallaxe

ESPN sounds like our other Media.... :)