Basic Chassis Cab to PTO Dump Conversion

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Feb 1, 2011.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

If I found a good deal on a basic truck would this be worth doing?

2. meador56

meador56 LawnSite Member

A truck that is set up will be a much better value.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

This would depend mostly on if the tranny has provisions for a PTO. A manual tranny is usually easier than an Auto

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Just run an electric pump, power up, gravity down.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Yuck.

If the tranny has provisions for it, do the PTO driven pump. If you are hoisting a lot of weight, it will be way faster.

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

Ive heard pto is alot better, especially on larger trucks. Im going to get a 26 gvw.

7. meador56

meador56 LawnSite Member

what I meant was buy a truck with a bed on it. I priced a 14' dump recently and it was 7k or so depending on how it was set up you add a 10k truck to that and you got 17k. If you can find a similar truck that has a bed on it you can buy it for 12 to 14 and put it to work tomorrow.

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

so your saying, find a dump truck and sell the dump and put the hook system on.

9. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

It would probably be much easier and cheaper to install a belt driven hydraulic pump if you don't necessarily need all of the power a PTO unit can produce. The belt driven pump would work much better than an electric unit at least.

10. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

Nothing to it really. Any truck that size should have a PTO provision off of the side of the tranny. We did the same thing about 10 years ago with an International 4700. IIRC, the PTO drive & pump was around $500 or so. Then you obviously need to purchase a hoist package (this had the tank, valves, control, etc..) and a dump box. It's been so long and we did the install ourselves, so I won't through a total number out there. I could probably find the old invoice if you're interested though.