Basic Engine Question - 8HP Briggs won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by buzzard86, Jul 21, 2007.

1. buzzard86

buzzard86 LawnSite Member
    from Philly

Hey gang -

Not quite lawn related... hope it's OK to post here.

I picked up a generator today with the thought that I would give me some power in my shed and be handy when the power goes out. It has an 8hp Briggs. Guy I bought it from said that he purchased it 10 years ago for emergencies but never wound up using it. Fluids were drained for a move a few years back but it's really hasn't run much in the past few years.

Today I drained what fuel there was in the tank (he said he put some fresh in to try and start it himself a few days ago), I changed the fuel filter, liberally doused the carb with carb cleaner spray and topped off the oil. It will fire if I pull the plug and put gas directly into the cylinder (so I know I've got spark), but quits as soon as this burns off. Fuel filter is clear and I see gas in it, so I presume that I am getting fuel to the carb. Incidentally, carb bowl was lineed with a black gunk that I had to wipe off with carb cleaner, so I presume things were/are gummed up.

Still kind of new to this. What's my next step to try and get this running?

Thanks, in advance.
    JIM

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the carb off and clean it. You mean the black gunk didn't give it away.

3. buzzard86

from Philly

Yeah, can I claim newbie status and avoid the ridicule??? :) That being said and fearing further well-deserved harassment, what holds the carb on and what product would you recommend that I soak it in?

I know that this is the most basic of engine repairs. I've just never done it before and google didn't help much. Carb is tucked up on this generator so I can't quite see what all I need to unbolt to drop the thing.

:drinkup: JIM

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget to blow the carb out with compressed air.

5. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I would replace the fuel hose as well. Sitting for that long the fuel hose starts to break down. A lot of that black stuff you see is dissolved fuel hose.

7. buzzard86

from Philly

8. buzzard86

from Philly

Just checked out the link with the model# and found my manual. However, still can't quite figure out what holds the carb in place. Does the long tube into which the carb bowl bolt is threaded (part# 142) somehow unscrew to release the carb assembly?

Thanks.
    JIM

9. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Parts # 142 Nozzle and 147 Pilot Jet (if equipped) are probably clogged up.

10. buzzard86

from Philly

Sorry, Bill. I think we just crossed paths in cyberspace. Does this #142 come off some how?