Basic Estimating Calculators

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Team-Green L&L, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen so many threads asking, "How much should I charge for ..." that I figured I'd build a couple calculators for our guys (and you guys). These calculators will provide basic pricing based on what we charged as we are a growing company. These calculations are an industry standard in Ohio, but not all companies will charge the same (as you know). My hopes are to encourage the lower-priced contractors to adjust their pricing to allow our industry to grow and succeed.

Be it known that this code is protected. If anyone decides to plagiarize my efforts they will be liable. I have instituted several tracking programs to monitor these pages. I am sharing, but I am not giving! You may use our calculators only from our site!

They are not available for public use and I don't intend to allow that. Please respect these wishes.

http://www.teamgreenll.com/calculators.html

2. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

Am I Wrong or are you missing Variables like

Mulch bed Depth and Cost Per Cubic Yard
    Paver size And cost Per Paver
    Yard terrain Such as hills, Fences etc.
    And so on

3. Team-Green L&L

All those variables are being calculated. That was the hardest part of this project. These calculations are based upon 3" depth of mulch. You have to use some common sense if your variables change. All these calculations will be based on (no current mulch in the bed) and (perfect conditions).

All the material costs are also included. The paver size does not matter. I cannot give you all the answers you want. I had to do a lot of research to put all the numbers together. If I start discussing how it works, I may as well give you the equations, huh?

I will say that, if you use those numbers and you are proficient enough to be doing the work to begin with, you will make the profits you desire.

4. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

mowing (80x100) 8000 square ft for $64? is the cincy market that good?

I do like the idea.

5. Team-Green L&L

Our mowing is not mow, blow, and go. We manicure every lawn on every visit. That's de-weeding, double-cutting (if necessary), defining beds, and pruning. EVERY VISIT!

If you are interested in a custom calculator. I can build one to suit your estimating process. It can be as detailed as you'd like. Just PM me.

I will note that those calculators do not reflect our bidding practices at this time. We cannot disclose current bidding procedures.

6. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

I apologize, I guess I shouldn't have assumed.

Thanks for the offer! I might take you up on that sometime.

BTW...nice website.

7. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Team Green-

Thanks for your willingness to share your calculator. I agree that charging $64 for 8k or $125 for less that a half acre would allow us to make lots of well derserved profits. Too bad we cant get quite that high right now. Does your price include any work in the beds or just mowing/manicuring?

I do feel lucky to be in Cincy where our market doesnt appear to be quite as cut throat as other parts of the country. Here we can get pretty good rates for our services although there are still idiots who charge $25 for a half acre. I feel we charge high mowing rates and are often selected over lower priced bidders but I wish I knew your secret to getting $500 for less than a acre and a half.

8. Team-Green L&L

I have adjusted the calculator to fit an LCO operation without the gardening part. These figures will benefit more people on this site.

Our prices are a little different now that we have been able to organize our business better, so that IS a little high, but when you are running around "like a chicken..." it is good to bid high (not low). We don't take on any regular mowing contracts anymore. We are focusing on the gardening end of the business. That's why we are SO expensive. I believe everyone should be pushing proper care of the garden also. I believe that our industry is suffering because of contractors allowing the homeowner to decide "what's good maintenance". Their decisions are based on budgeting and end up neglecting the expensive plants in their garden. The neglect will depreciate their landscape value at a constant rate. Within 5 years, you've turned your $10,000 landscape into a $5000 (-$5000) property value increase. Our client's property value always appreciates and we have had several appraisals to state that. I will be putting an information section on our site to explain why we do these things.

If everyone did their jobs and told the homeowners that they would be in the wrong to allow neglect to the landscape, then our market value would increase. The issue is that there are too many "jacka__es" out there that are cutting lawns and trimming, all the while, letting the most expensive investments depreciate??? :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

9. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Very True. I hate to see a customer hire us to mow their lawn but not pay us to maintain their beds, etc.. Most of the time they let their beds and plantings go to hell and then sometimes have us do a cleanup at some point, if at all. Thankfully this is the minority of our customers. We too have tried to get more "full service" customers rather than just mow jobs. I like the idea of suggesting that by not taking basic care of their planting beds they are taking what is supposed to a appreciating asset and turning it into a depreciating one that will eventually require a complete tear out and replacement.

10. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Team Green good work I like it. It gives people an idea of what the price will be I seen on the Paver section is say call for the full estimate. I like it. How much time did that take?