Basic formula to bid mowing jobs

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by emeraldtouchwizard, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Johnny Ringo

Johnny Ringo LawnSite Member

I agree that this is how some people think. I did an estimate for a guy the other day for his lawn maintenance. After I gave him my written quote he told me that his last year guy has half my price (Mind you that the "last year guy" was using the homeowners equipment). After a few minutes of talking with him he told me that his guy would get paid for the work done and ask for next weeks pay in advance also. Then he said that the guy stopped mowing for him and started sending his nephew. He ended the conversation by telling me that the guy stole his blower and after all that he was considering hiring him again. I reminded him about my written estimate and that if in the future he needed my service not to hesitate to call. These people you speak of tend to work themselves out. The problem is that there is another one right behind him.

2. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I completely agree these principles aren't unique to this industry, and ALL basic principles of business say that you should do research before entering in a business venture.

3. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member

This is exactly why you can't just "charge what the market will bear." If you did that you'd quickly go broke trying to complete with Joe Push Mower.

4. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

marked for later

5. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an app for this too…it's called arithmetic.

It works by charging a price for each minute you work.

Here is where it gets really complicated...

If I estimate the job will take 45 minutes or less, the price is $45.

If I estimate the job will take 50 minutes, the price is $50.

If I estimate the job will take 55 minutes, the price is $55.

If I estimate the job will take 60 minutes, the price is $60...

6. the3ps

the3ps LawnSite Silver Member

nice post....

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

A.W. ... don't hold back. Tell us how it really works. :weightlifter:

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

AW, where can I find this app?

Is it on android. ;)
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. marc228

marc228 LawnSite Member

I guess the way I price a lawn may be considered lazy, non calculated, simple ect. It works for me and this is my 9th season in business. All I do is mow, trim, edge, and blow. Anything else i sub out to one of three other companiies. Im sure every area in the US is different but it works great down here. I only work in the 17 largest neighborhoods in my area closest to my residence. I only do residential. These neighborhoods consist of 150-400 homes each. At the beginning of every season I take my flyer that has two large blank spots at the bottom and go door to door. Above these two blank spots it has "your lawn already priced". I write two prices with a red sharpie in these blank spots. A price for a 10 day cut and a price for every other week price. They are 5 dollars different. My minimum is 40. I never have and never will go back and give an estimate. The customer knows the price and what it includes from the flyer. These are cookie cut neighborhoods with sidewalks. At most 1/4 to 1/3 acre. I pre determine if the neighborhood is a 40/45, 45/50, 50/55 ect neighborhood.I knock every door, hand the customer the flyer, introduce myself, tell them what I do, tell them that the price and number is on the flyer and if they are interested please give me a call. It is the simplest, yet most affective way I know how to do it. But hey I just cut grass for a living.

10. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I think an app would be kind of handy for mowing quotes. Get a bit more precise then just eyeballing it. If it was available for iPad I would give it a try.