basic hourly rate for mowing?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dmolaver15, May 11, 2012.

1. dmolaver15

dmolaver15 LawnSite Member

just looking for a baseline rate for mowing jobs.

i am a 1 man show, mowing with a 48" exmark metro and a sulky. all the usual is included (mow, trim, blow)

is 45 an hour a good place to start or am i too low/high?

2. The Grounds Crew

The Grounds Crew LawnSite Member

way to low. charge by the 1000sqft

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

How much per 1K SF ? :laugh:

4. The Grounds Crew

its different in every area. My price would be meaningless to you. Your prices will be determined on what the market will bare. Have a few local LCO's bid your property or friends or parents and see what they charge. It will help you figure out pricing.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Exactly so the OP can look at his hourly rate he wants and determin his production to find a cost per unit.

So your post was meaningless to the OP too.

6. Currinson

Currinson LawnSite Member
    from MA

Wow, call a few companies to get quotes just for your pricing? :nono: Why waste anyones time like that? Your hourly rate would be dependent on your overhead, equipment, insurance, fuel cost and other buisness expenses. If your mower cost was 5000.00, and you figure it will last 2000 hours than you need to get 2.50 per mowing hour just to pay for the mower, you need to do the same with all equipment and other overhead. Alot of guys get into this and see dollar signs when in the end they cant even cover their overhead. 45.00 per hour is good money. I wish you the best

7. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area, It's a dollar a minute. I get it about 95% of the time.

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I agree, we get between $35-45 per hour depending on the job. $45 is good money but make sure you account for ALL of your overhead costs when bidding jobs at a $45 RPH.

9. gibbonsballer10

gibbonsballer10 LawnSite Senior Member

$45/hr is a good price. I dont charge by the hour, but thats about what i make with all of my lawns.

10. The Grounds Crew

How can charge $45 an hour. Just for me to to run an employee it cost $18.50 an hour. You wont be making anything after you take into account all the other overhead.