basic hourly rate for mowing?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dmolaver15, May 11, 2012.

1. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Amap!!!!!!

2. dmolaver15

dmolaver15 LawnSite Member

yeah I'm not looking to actually say i charge this much per hour, just for me to keep in mind while giving an estimate. I charge by the job just curious how much i should be making at minimum per hour

i am new and have not quite figured out an exact overhead. my truck itself is payed for, i owe 1600 on my mower, all other tools are payed for. i have my insurance, my truck insurance, and fuel and random other things. i don't do a lot of work so the maintenance on the equipment is not bad. i guess without pinpointing any real overhead, whatever it may be has been covered in my current $45 an hour rate, as i have been able to pocket most of the money i've made since last year.

I'm still trying to figure out the business running aspect of this.. i know how to do a nice job while I'm actually out doing the work, but i'm certainly not a business major.

3. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Same here 60$ an hr by myself doing normal sized yards

4. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

$45 per hr bahahahahhaha dear lord......

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

It has always amazed me at how the prices change per location....

I think many of you are WAYYYYY LOW..... Of corse We have a much higher over head.....

6. Matt_T

Matt_T LawnSite Member

I'm in my 2nd year and do this part time, but I make about $55 an hour working solo. I think I do pretty well, but I know I underbid on 2 of my jobs dropping my average a decent amount.

7. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Always factor jobs by the man hours not the size. You can have two 5K yards but one that takes twice as long because of the layout. On small yard you may get as much as $60 per man hour (dollar a minute) but on bigger yards the rate may be as low as $42.50.

8. SSmith

SSmith Banned

$1 a minute. Minimum. Gas is expensive. You're gonna ruin your back, and shoulder....and knees. Seriously. Don't kill yourself for peanuts.

Most yards here in Cincy fall into the $30 category. Takes me about 20 minutes to do them. Some are more....most are $30.

9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

You have to know your costs before you can know what hourly rate you're charging.

10. ray904

ray904 LawnSite Member

I am a one man deal in alabama & my average is between 40/50 a hour I worked 2 1/2 days this week & net $518.73
    Posted via Mobile Device