1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Basic Lawn Mowing Prices

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by NJSalesPro, Apr 9, 2007.

1. NJSalesPro

NJSalesPro LawnSite Member

I haven't cut a lawn in years - I focus higher margin services like tree trimming, cutting, deck sanding, staining, painting, etc. But, out of the blue, someone wants me to quote him in NJ. So what's a fair price to mow lawns in NJ: 50, 55, or 75 dollars per mow? Anything less than 50 really isn't worth it with gas costing me 2.5 per gallon in NJ.
  2. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

NJ sounds like a high priced state but even so $50 sounds high for a basinc postage stamp lot in the city. Around here $30-$40 is doing real good for a residential lot.

GREENTIMEJG LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I am not planning on starting until net year but was just trying to figure some numbers.What size lots are you getting 30 and 40 for?Do you have a minimum charge?

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Like zz said, that would be high for a normal 1/4 acre lot. My min. this year was $25 for anything 10,000 sq ft and under, but next it will be bumped slightly to $27.
  5. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

There are many pricing models. Some folks price by the manhour, some by the size of the lawn. I use the size of the lawn as a "starting point". Then add surcharges depending on the condition of the property and obstacles. For example:

1/4 acre = $30 base price (includes mowing, trimming, clearing of sidewalks and drive) + $10 difficult terrain surcharge + $10 bagged clippings + $7 for equipment clean up if there is animal waste.

You'll find that out of 10 members on this site there will be nearly 10 different pricing models. You just need to consider what it costs you to do business as you craft your own pricing model. That's one of the big mistakes newbies make (and I consider myself a newbie)...they loose money and don't realize it until it's too late.
  6. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

my min price is $30 for 1/4 acre

but some D-BAG min price is $20 for 1/2 acre

how will he be making money? unless his parents are paying for every thing. i have lost like 5 lawns cause this D-I-C-K is charging people pennies compared to dollers after you have to pay for every thing. and i aint about to get dicked over like that. so i am turning him in to the state and he will have to pay $4000 a yard if found quilty with out a service vendors licenses. so the joke will soon be on him
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

your going to get alot of responses on this. It really depends where you live.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't understand the gas problem we pay $2.69 today and cut yards all day long for a LOT less than $50 and make a fair living at it since it is all we do.