Basic lawncare schedule for homeowner- Northern NJ

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by tallguylehigh, Jun 30, 2008.

1. tallguylehigh

tallguylehigh LawnSite Member

I have something that I have been trying to piece together for a while now, so I thought to ask this site, which has a lot of great information.

I am a homeowner in Northern NJ, which is in Zone 6a on the USDA Hardiness Zone Finder. I was wondering if there was a basic schedule available to follow for lawn care.

I am curious to know things like:

When should I put new seed down?
    When should I fertilize?
    When should I put down any kind of pre-emergent? (If necessary)
    When should I put down a bug repellant? (If necessary)
    When should I put down a fungicide? (If necessary)
    When should I aerate?
    etc...

I know its virtually impossible to assign a strict schedule based on something like lawn care, but if anyone could lend some of their knowledge and experience to help me try to put the pieces together, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for the help! :waving:

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Fall is best, but anytime with proper watering.
    Depends on product used, maybe every 6 weeks average.
    First app is when soil temp reaches 50-55 degrees, not when forsythia bloom.
    Depends on product and insects you want to affect. Grubs are now through end of month. Be careful with these.
    When you have fungus, usually not needed with good turf care regiment.
    Fall is best.

Mountain lakes is probably more 6A than 5B, but you are right on the cusp depending on the year. The only advice I can offer any homeowner looking to do their own treatments is to buy a good commercial product from a dealer or garden center, do not by any means think that vigoro or scotts is a good product. Any more information and Ill have to charge you. Good luck.

3. tallguylehigh

tallguylehigh LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. I understand your limitations and appreciate that you were able to give me some information.

Now, do you have any recommendations for a good garden center in the area? All of the ones I have looked in don't really seem to have anything above and beyond the mentioned Vigoro and Scotts so could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks! :drinkup: