1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Basic Method for trimming hedges

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Dec 10, 2003.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys trim your hedges?

ie) 10 feet tall / 3feet wide / 100 feet long

Do you just climb up the ladder and eye ball it?

I dont quite understand how one would trim a hedge that tall?

Another thing, you guys mentioned putting a tarp so the clippings don't go all over the place. Where does one place the tarp? Just right under the hedges, on top, sides or what?

sorry :)
  2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I eyeball it.Get one section squared up and then work your way down the hedge.

An extended hedge trimmer is a must when working at that height with a 3ft wide hedge.

3. NickN

from Alabama

as for the tarp.Put it where the clippings will fall.Slightly under the hedge and on the side your trimming.No need for it if the hedge is along a driveway though.You can just sweep them up.Don't forget a rake for the raking the clippings out of the shrubs.
  4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

If you have access to both sides and you have a extended trimmer with the the adjustable cutting head you might not need the ladder. Ladders make life hard and slow. Put the tarps around the bottom of hedges and push it underneath then use a rake and pull the loose clippings off the top if possible.
  5. alpine692003

thanks guys, I now know what you mean :)

You guys dont climb up the ladder anymore eh? Just eye ball with the extended hedge trimmer?

Check your PM, NICK!
  6. NickN

from Alabama

With a 10 ft tall hedge I'd still use the ladder as I can't see what I'm doing from the ground.Set the ladder up beside the hedge,climb up,use the extended hedge trimmer to flatten out the top.The sides you can do from the ground.
  7. alpine692003

Thank you very much again NICKN.. I appreciate it much dude :)

You put it in simple engrish for me to understand, lol..

LAWNESCAPES LawnSite Member

I definitely have to climb ladders. I use a stihl pole pruner. Remove the pruner tool & add a hedge trimmer to tip. Makes for a very long hedge trimmer.
    I place the tarp anywhere I can. To be honest , on most of my hedges,there is not plenty of room for maneuvering. Best bet is to make sure rear of hedge clears any wall or fence in the rear of hedge. It looks better.:waving:
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

10' tall hedges?

I'd pass on these.
  10. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

I would subcontract this job out. I find that I can sometimes sub these kind of jobs out to other guys in the businss and still make money.