1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Basic organic start to improve lawn?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Jim Z, Jul 23, 2009.

1. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

SWEET
    an excellent source of organic matter. If it is still hot it may not be "finished" yet but I always say

If its free, its for me.

good score, there are many on here that do not have an inexpensive source of compost

Kiril, nice information, I forget some of the simple things sometimes. put it in a pot and water it and see if you grow weeds, you can put some of your grass seed in the pot too and see how it germinates

2. cudaclan

cudaclan LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I will not, I repeat, I will not use any "compost" from any town or agency affiliated with them. The last and only time I did so invited weeds and garbage. If you like sifting through plastic spoons, disposable diapers, styrofoam cups and a slew of other items that should of been recycled or sent to a landfill, it is for you. Poorly supervised and executed disposal of street sweeperÂ’s byproducts is what I witnessed.

3. Jim Z

Jim Z LawnSite Member

Nothing like that in our recycled material and I've been using it for years for other plantings etc but not lawn before. Never had one single piece of debris in it. As silly as it seems all leaves to be collected have to be bagged which seems nuts but that's the way it is so nothing is sucked up. Of course someone might put something in a bag that shouldn't be there but I've never come across any myself. In our town we've been doing this for more than 30 years that I know of. If I had that crap in there I wouldn't use it either.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: similar but different...