Basics for doing fert and weed control?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PGA, Jan 20, 2006.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

If you guys could compile a list of basics for getting into the chemial side of lawn care what would it be?

For example: equipment, prices, brands, programs.

All in all any advice would be helpful for us up and commers who are new.

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

#1- agronomic knowledge (dont try to learn as you go) you'll get knowledge either by working for a reputable company or from a formal education

#2- complete awareness of the environment (its not ok to spill a few drops here and there or apply all sorts of product trying to 'cure' something your not sure of) we are good stewards of the planet

#3- complete awareness of potential hazard (where is the pesticides going to be stored?, you dont just leave pesticides 'laying around' in the back of a pickup)

#4- complete awareness and compliance of the laws of the states you work in (licensing, insurance etc.)

#5- always remember number 1-4 above

good luck

3. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

4. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Thats all you need to be succesful?

BTW I already have. 06 is my first year and Im just looking for some advice.

5. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

Practice......a lot. Do as many lawns as you can afford, for free. Find as many different sites as you can. Dry, wet, sun, shade, new lawn, established, thin , stressed, weedy, active insect infestation. etc. Look for stuff to do and learn as much as you can from all of them .Try different products and challenge yourself. Set up a program/s and track the results. You can't do it all but do as much as you can. I called them test plots and still do. Find someone that knows more than you and kiss their ass...... a lot.

For what it's worth that's my advice.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Go visit with your nearest Lesco dealer or any other reputable chemical dealer.
    The license training should also offer some good info.

The basic equipment includes a good commercial grade rotary spreader and a backpack sprayer. A blower to clean of the walks and drives would be good also. try to attend a local turf conference or trade show and gather as much info as you can. If you have a specific question do a search here and you'll probably find the answer.

Good luck