Basment dig with CTL?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wanabe, Feb 5, 2011.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Anyone ever dug a basment with a CTL? Im interested if it can be done or not? Hole will be about 40'x50', and will be only be about 5 foot deep due to the lot. Ground is nothing but clay, no rock or anything like that. How many yards of loose material am I looking at? Thanks

2. AdvLandscapeLLC

AdvLandscapeLLC LawnSite Senior Member

can it be done yes, will it be efficient nope! :usflag:

3. wanabe

from So. IL

How much time am I looking at to do this? Using mt T300 and a 84 inch high back tooth bucket.

4. AdvLandscapeLLC

AdvLandscapeLLC LawnSite Senior Member

your probably looking at 350-400 cubic yards with those dimensions unless my math is wrong, and depending on your bucket size which is maybe anywhere from 1\2 to 1 1\4 yard bucket. The speed of an excavator is quicker because of the time it takes to dig and dump on your spoil pile as opposed to a ctl that has to drive and transport the material to the spoil pile and also the excavator will break through stubborn soil easier than the ctl. Also its probably going to be easier to dig level with the excavator.
    I do not have a lot of experience in this so hopefully someone who does this regularly could help you out better but that is just the stuff off the top of my head.:usflag:

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I used to dig a lot of these in the late 90's. There was a modular home craze at that time. Most were about 4.5 feet in the ground, with similiar dimensions some were a bit larger.

Digging conditions here are difficult, its all cobble rock. I used a 95XT with a 73" and 84" bucket depending on how difficult the dig. If I had the steel tracks on I used the 84 exclusively. When the ground was real hard I used the 73" with the Rezloh edge. That was when I found I could not be without that cutting edge.

Wheels and tracks changed the time it took but it usually took about 4.5 hours to ex it out and put it to grade.

If your all clay you should be able to knock that out even faster.

I loved digging those. Something to be said about showing up and digging a big hole in the ground. Nothing fancy just put it to grade add a couple feet for overdig an your done. I enjoyed doing those. The modular home people nearly all went out of business now so I have not done one in years.

6. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

I used to dig basements that size with track loaders. It's not fun, but it can be done. I would very much prefer to work that with an ex, but at 5', it should be pretty easy.

7. wanabe

from So. IL

Thanks for the info. I think im going to tackle this with my T300 now. The hole will be for my own basment, so time is not a huge issue.

8. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I measured out about 2-3' bigger all the way around. With the swell factor of clay you're going to be looking at dang near 500 yards of dirt to take out. Does 500 yards stay on site? I'd keep a 100yards for backfill but the remaining will need to fine a new home. 400 yards is going to equal about 25 truck loads of dirt.

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I don't have specifics for you, but in 2006 I dug a few holes that were about 3' deep, three or four times the length of a skid-steer, and about 1.5-2 buckets wide in about 30-45 minutes with a 257B. I'm not an operator so probably wasn't doing it all that quickly, but with a larger machine and a good operator it shouldn't be an issue. Just be sure you have a decent ramp out!

10. wanabe

from So. IL

Yep, its all going to stay on the 2 acre lot. Plan to do alot with the landscape so I will need every bit of it.