1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I will be storing my mower where there isn't any heat this winter, so should I take the battery out for the winter? The temperature sometimes get down to -20 degrees F. Thanks for your advice.
  2. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Mowman, if you take your battery and put in your basement or somwhere where the temperature is moderate it will last a lot longer. In those kind of temps it can freeze and crack... not a pretty sight.

PS. Top it up with distilled water also...
  3. Lawn Cruiser

Lawn Cruiser LawnSite Member

Yes you should take it out, if you do set it in your basement or on any cement set it on a 2x4 or some other piece of wood.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have always heard of setting a battery of a piece of wood, rather than a cement floor. Why is this?
  5. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

For some reason the battery discharges if you put in the cement floor.
  6. steve

steve LawnSite Member

Will storing my battery on concrete drain the charge? No. Regarding today's batteries, this is a myth. A battery placed on concrete will not discharge any faster, but a battery will discharge over a period of time wherever it is placed. If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery will self-discharge more rapidly than if it were clean and dry.

This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies.
    Direct from the Interstate Batteries Site!

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

all batteries are not created equal...
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This is from a company that sells batteries. Whats wrong with this. Sure, what if Exmark said, "you dont ever have to sharpen your blades, when it cuts bad, just buy a new mower!" I dont know, but my Dad was a mechanic in his younger days 60's&70's and never heard of wooden batteries. Concrete is not good for anything. Never lay on you back or knees without a creeper. Just ask all the old crippled mechanics.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

A calcium hybrid batteries no not discharge unless their is the battery is wired. these batteries are kinda expenvie. i am running a 1500 cca and a 1100wca rating on it it is now 4.5 years old never a problem cost back them was $75.00 exch.but standard acid batteries don't work like this.
    at the parts store i worked in we had battiers lined up on the floor and they were all hot.
  10. steve

steve LawnSite Member

The wooden part is the outside of the case of the battery, and wood does swell! So the wood swells and breaks the glass jar. And a battery has nothing to with mechanics knees or backs!