1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

battery always going dead?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by plantzpropertymanagement, Aug 23, 2006.

1. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

Does anybody know what this could be ive replaced the battery and still the same thing ill use it and as soon as i let it sit over night it wont start it will turn over but wont start so i took it to the shop and they said it was the valves which was making the battery go dead so i get it back and the same thing again?
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

A short somewhere that is draining the battery.
  3. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

would you happen to know exactly where to look? ive checked the battery wires and stuff it all looked ok

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Valves??? WOW never heard that!!
    what is it-- maybe the wire that hooks the Batt to the ALT is bad-- I had that happen on one--or a short. BUT VALVES???
    Is it EFI-- That could cause a open circuit

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

How fast will it turn? is the batt good ?
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Pull the negative battery cable. Put a voltmeter(set to amps) between the neg. cable end and the negative post of the battery. If you have a parasitic loss, it will show on the voltmeter. Start pulling fuses(if you have any) or un-plugging wires until the draw stops.

That way you know where to look for what is likely a short circuit.
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What brand and type of machine, what type and size engine?
  8. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I would do what fiveoboy1 said, except do it with continuity setting on the meter. Some of the meters have a tone you can hear when continuity is present.
  9. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Hate to bust bubbles but please Go back to electric 101 class. Continuity is for measuring ohms on a circuit WITHOUT POWER or you will be buying a new multi meter. A voltmeter with a audible tone for measuring voltage on a DC circuit will work. Not checking for continuity.
  10. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like the collider bearings in the muffler to me :laugh:

seriously, i'd find a new shop to take it to. there is no way valves in the head can create a parasitic draw.