1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Battery/Charging Issues

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NewImageLawn&Landscape, May 4, 2006.

1. NewImageLawn&Landscape

NewImageLawn&Landscape LawnSite Member

Here's the deal, I have a 2000 Lazer Z with the 26 hp EFI, I just put a new battery in it 2 weeks ago. It will start the mower probably 10 ten times or so and then the the battery loses power to where it will not turn the starter over. When it does start, you can cut and operate the mower just fine. Even when the battery is dead, you can jump it , start the mower and it will run fine. I tried the battery out of my other mower and it did the same thing. It sounds to me like the mower isn't charging the battery. I have had this problem with cars but never with a mower. Any help would be appreciated!!
  2. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

First and foremost, DO NOT JUMP START!!! a fuel injected Kohler engine. You are lucky that the charging system is not working currently. The problem with your unit is in the charging system, either alternator, regulator, power supply problem to the regulator, or the regulator is not grounded. Definately get it in for service ASAP. Don't chance blowing a $300-400 computer.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You also DO NOT want to re-charge a low battery with the cables connected either, Remove at-least one cable before re-charging.