1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Battery clock/controller for multi-zones?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WalkGood, Jun 21, 2006.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Any recommendations for good reliable battery operated clock/controllers that can operate multiple zones?

Can a Hunter battery (9Volt) controller operate TWO solenoids?
  2. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I believe its called the Hunter SRV-4. I just installed one last week and it works great, it will control up to 4 zones and programs like the SRC. The only thing that confused me a little was the start times. You set a start time for each zone and then a run time for that zone. Seems good so far.

Good luck
  3. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Rain Bird Unik.

4. But why do you need this setup, lack of electricity?

The cost is a big issue vs using a standard set up.

I am another vote for Hunter's srv4.
  5. WalkGood

It's a big commercial location. No more zones in the 48 zone controller. Cannot get more wiring out to the spot in question anyway - too mucg asphalt parking lot. After expansion on otherside of building, we need to combine a few zones (mucho water pressure on 2" lines). "Stealing time" so to speak to get all areas watered in a 24 hour period.

RAINMAN7: What I mean is, can a single station battery controller power up TWO solenoids (i.e. two zones) at the same time? I've already got one single battery controller in the valve box.
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think there is enough voltage to fire two zones and I don't have time to look it up. :)

We run into many similar situations on our school sites where we have water but no power in specific areas. We use the Hunter WVC... one zone per valve.
  7. PurpHaze

They've now morphed into TBOS but basically the same thing. We've switched to the Hunter WVC which means we don't have to physically open the box with the controller in it and hook up the infrared connection.
  8. PurpHaze

The WVC is the same way and I agree that it is confusing at first. I've developed a spreadsheet in Excel where I track all our WVC programs. This helps to have them written down when we need to make changes to the programs.
  9. If you are not in a time pressure issue, I've seen the single bat operated hunter for as low as $30 plus shipping on ebay. Just need to be patient to get that price.
  10. WalkGood

I think we get them for around $35, local supply house.