battery dead in 1.5 hrs, time to replace?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Oct 22, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, so i had my truck and trailer hooked up sitting at work, i left the 4-way flashers on because i was parked close to the edge of the road on a bad corner. I came back an hour and a half later and the lights were "half flashing" a lot faster than they should be. i turned them off, then went to start up the engine, and it wouldn't even turn over, it just "clicked". so the home owner used his car to jump mine. i ran it around the block and went home, turned it off, then back on again, and it started right up. The battery gauge was where is should be once the engine was running. Is it time to replace already? or was the draw from the trailer flashers too much for the battery? the current battery is from 6/2005.

oh, and once the battery charged up a bit, the flashers worked normaly.

2. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

use led's, or leave the regular flashers off and use strobes, or get a better battery.

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say that you just drained the battery down using the flashers on both your truck and the trailer. It happens.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds to me like you need a new battery. You should be able to leave your flashers on for more then 1 1/2 hrs. we do!!

5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

really? a new battery already, it's only a little over a year old, can they go bad that fast?

6. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I never measure the current consumptions on the 4 way flashers, but I know I left mine on a couple of times for over 2 hrs, without any issues.

Assuming that you have a worst case 35 watt bulb, 6 of them and that they would burn constantly (not on and off), they draw around 18 amps. Most trucks have a 66 Amp / hr or better battery. This setup will give you a run time of around 3 hrs.

The correct run time is difficult to calculate, as a regular bulb draws more amps during the "cold" startup, once the wire is hot, current drops down to the rated wattage.

John

7. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Buy some orange cones or warning triangles and use them instead. IMO they are alot safer and give a better warning to bypassing traffic if you use them properly. Flashers to me means your broke down and being in law enforcement I will tow your vehicle if I think its a safety hazard and your not around.

8. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

when you buy another battery get the biggest one you can.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

before you go buy a new one charge it up really good leave it running for a bit and see how it goes for a while if it dies again then you need a new one

10. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Try putting it on a 2 amp charge overnite