battery drain question

Discussion in 'Wright Manufacturing, Inc. (Archived)' started by jsf343, Aug 14, 2013.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello, I have a 2007 Wright Sentar and am having issues with the battery being drained, it was recently replaced so I don't think it is that. I am wondering if the foot plate gets stuck can it create an open circuit to drain the battery? I am trying to think of things that could drain it, or maybe on the other hand it is something in the charging system that has gone out and its no longer being properly charged?

2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you might want to take it to a good shop, if you're not sure what to do.

A multi-meter and testing circuits is a start. You mention the charging system. Fire it up and throw a meter on the battery terminals. Are you over 14V? Are you showing an amperage draw, when the mower is turned off? Also, was the battery properly serviced, when it was put into service?

I keep all my stuff on Battery Tender Jr maintenance chargers. I've gotten 10 years out of one battery before replacement and still have one going with 8yrs on it. Yes. I throw the chargers on every night. I just use the quick connect harness that comes with them.

3. jsf343

thanks for the reply.

we ended up checking under the foot plate and found a very small stick causing the issues that was not caught the first time we checked, cleaned it out, re-charged and it seems fine for now, so problem is hopefully solved.

4. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Good deal!

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Good catch!

6. jsf343

I am curious though if that foot plate would cause it to drain like that, you wouldn't think so.

Thoughts?

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously it did.

8. WrightCommercial

WrightCommercial Inactive

jsf343,

The usual culprit is a loose or corroded connection on the yellow wire (charging circuit), check the voltage at the engine connection and then follow the yellow wire and take voltage readings at the connections. If the voltage drops off there is an issue with the connection. The key switch connection being seperate from the main harness connection can sometimes loosen up have even seen some fall off the key switch.

Best Regards
    Wright Mfg.

9. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

This happened to me and I had a bad voltage regulator.