1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Battery drain

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gabe96, Jul 11, 2008.

1. gabe96

gabe96 LawnSite Member

What would cause battery to drain to 6 volts on an Exmark 18hp? New battery and solenoid?
  2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a schematic or would even try looking without knowing what model, engine brand etc.
    That said, "some" electrical systems have 12V on the charge diode/regulator at all times. IF that is the case, the battery could discharge through the stator windings if the diode/regulator wee bad.
  3. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a short. Check all wiring, I'm assuming it's a walk, one strand to the next from end to end. Probably a pinched wire.
  4. gabe96

gabe96 LawnSite Member

I'm sorry for not giving enough info. Its a laser riding mower. I was cutting yesterday, be running fine. Engine died, tried to start nothing. Got VM and checked battery and only had 6 volts. Its a new battery also.
  5. Bill Kapaun

Definitely sounds like it's not charging.
    Have you checked the fuses?
    Go to-

and pick out which machine you have and post the link for the correct operator and parts manual. Too many choices, so let's make sure we get the correct schematic.
  6. gabe96

gabe96 LawnSite Member

Its a Lazer Z HP SN 231383.
  7. Bill Kapaun

Well, since they only go back to 440,000, I'll use the oldest and hope it's correct.

HAVE YOU checked the fuses yet?

It shows there are 2. One with Red wires and one with Violet wires.
    IF the 2nd one is blown, the engine will not charge the battery.

IF that isn't/doesn't fix the problem, you'll need a volt meter to do any aditional tests.
    They are covered in the service manual that you can download here-
  8. phlandscaping

phlandscaping LawnSite Member

check all electrical connections that may have somehow come loose... One partially loose connection can prevent charging of the battery, but obviously check fuse first then work you're way back from connections on battery!
  9. Scagman61

Scagman61 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

its a solenoid
  10. gabe96

gabe96 LawnSite Member

I'll check that out Bill. The solenoid has just been replaced.