1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Battery for Dump Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Cart-Away, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Cart-Away

Cart-Away LawnSite Member

We are looking for recommendations for a good battery in our DumpKing trailers. They are each electric/hydraulic.
    We have recharging units in the box so that they can be charged up when they are parked at the store. We have not found a satisfactory long life battery. What have you found that works?
    These trailers are used as "free" delivery units for customers when they purchases landscape materials from the store, so the trailers do get a bit of abuse.

dump layers9500badj.jpg
  2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

So you "lend" these trailers out to landscape customers to haul around supplies? damn, for free? The one i got is a double hydraulic ram setup with a 7x14' body, moves slow and sucks some power, about 300amps @ 12v going up with a heavy load. I think it has a marine deep cycle Interstate battery, personally if you can fit it, id say use dual batteries if using the dump a lot on em.

I know even with my diesel 06 f350 pulling mine, if i dump more often than every 1hr worth of driving it will severly suck the power down on the battery before it charges it back up. Only other thing would be to hook up some sort of heavier wire like a Salt spreader uses so you can recharge the battery faster like the trucks charge their own engine battery.
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Mine has a marine battery in it, and i'm pretty sure my truck slowly charges the battery when its connected.
  4. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

If it was me I would buy a Yellow Top, or better known as a Optima battery. Not cheap but well worth the money.

Regards Mike
  5. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I also use a Interstate marine battery and I have had no problems with it. The only charge it has got is from the truck while hooked up.
  6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I second this, hold up the the bouncing around much better than a traditional battery.
  7. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

get a group 21 deep cycle battery .they are meant to be continuously discharged and charged .exide or battery's plus .
  8. Cart-Away

Cart-Away LawnSite Member

We appreciate all the advice. We will test these suggestions. Our trailers need to be ready to roll several times a day as the landscapers and homeowners come and go with these dump trailers delivering the bulk goods to their job sites. We call this service "WE LOAD, YOU DELIVER" and it is a great benefit to those who don't want to pay delivery or wait on the trucks. It also saves contractors from investing in their own bulk dump trailers. A better battery system will insure that no one is stuck not being able to dump their load.
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, mines a group 21 i know of. I too second the Exide, not the walmart crap either, get either "expensive" Orbitals like i have in one of my Pontiacs or their normal wet deep cycle, they too by far have one of the best and easiest warranties.

I had two fail in a shorter amount of time 1 and 2.5 years later, even the 2.5 year one they replaced at their warehouse in PA north of Philly, just gave me a new one and a receipt of exchange. The 1yr old orbital, not sure if it had a problem from the getgo, it was never powerful, havnt tried the new one yet b/c the car has been sitting. Ive heard others with the orbitals and they love them, cheaper than yellow or red tops too because they make more.
  10. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

+ 1 on the Optima batteries. You will pay more than conventional batteries, but well worth the initial investment in the long run.