1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Battery for SSL

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by TerraFirma Excavating, Dec 12, 2006.

1. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

The battery in my Bobcat 773 finally gave it up in the cold and I have to buy a new one. I called my Bobcat dealer and they said Bobcat makes theirs designed especially to resist vibration/shock. The Bobcat battery is actually less expensive than the John Deere battery they also sell. Both batteries are currently out of stock and would have to be ordered in.

Should I order in the Bobcat battery or go with a good battery like Interstate?
  2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

We always buy our batteries from the dealer. They actually aren't priced too high (app. $90-$100 from Case). They do seem to hold up good against the elements and shock, and we usually get several years out of each one. I'm sure you can get an off brand that will work, but I'd suggest staying with the manufacturer's battery unless it's priced like they're real proud of it!:dizzy:
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends if the battery is a odd ball then go with the dealer if its a standard group size then shop around. It really doesn't matter what brand of battery you buy nowwadays they are all junk. There are very few battery manufacturers all the brands buy from them and slap their name on them.

Actually the batteries that seem to stand up is Cat batteries the ones Caterpillar has manufacturered for them. Allot of people like the Jell cell battery (ultima) they seem to be viberation resistant.

A battery for a machine needs a thick case that absorbs the viberation to keep the plates from viberating apart.

A decent rule of thumb is heavier the battery the better.
  4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

cat batterys always do well in dads equipment
  5. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I've had really good luck with "Les Schwab" batteries in my Crawler and trucks, tho they are not cheap. I'm not sure who makes them, but I like dependability in rough service. I hear the 'obtima's " are vibration resistant, but haven't tried one (tho need a new Bobcat Battery too :cry: )
  6. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

whoops,*trucewhiteflag* I see their only AK store is at 8555 Airport Blvd Juneau, AK 99801...:rolleyes: so... I wonder who decided this? A store who's bread and butter is Batteries and Tires in Juneau? ! :laugh: maybe I'm missing something :sleeping: (It is close to the Lower 48 'ferrie'...but you don't usually wear tires out that way (except the ones hanging over the pier for 'bumpers'))
  7. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

I started out looking for an Optima yellow top battery to help resist damage from vibration. I went to a place that only sell batteries (Alaska Battery) and ended up getting the Exide Orbital Spiral wound battery. It has more cranking amps and was less expensive than the Optima. I got it for $129, which is pretty good for here in Alaska. These are also sealed batteries, so maybe I'll have less corrosion problems in the battery tray. I left the loader out all night, so I tell you how it starts at 0°F.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Thats good to know that somebody else makes the sprial core gel cell type battery.