1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Battery goes dead on 84 ford pickup

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tomcl, Aug 31, 2006.

1. tomcl

tomcl LawnSite Member

My 84 Ford service truck had the Battery light come on--Replaced the alternator, stayed on--Replaced the regulator--light went off and charging was 14-15 volts--all is wellEXCEPT my battery goes dead (less than 2 volts) overnight--I looked at the wires, all appears to be good--could the alt or reg be defective in some way--Thanks Guys
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Remove the positive battery cable, Put a test light or multimeter between the pos. cable and battery post. If the light comes on or you have voltage on the meter with doors closed and everything off you have a draw in the system.
    With whichever tester still hooked to the battery remove the large battery wire off the back of the alternator and see if the draw stops, If it does the alternator is shorted out inside and needs replacing.
  3. dlm17

dlm17 LawnSite Member

you may also want to load test the battery you could have a bad battery a lot of batteries today can be perfect one day and bad the next
  4. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

He is right.
    In fact, an event like this will frequently finish off a dieing battery regardless of the age of battery.
    It could even have been a bad batch of batt from the fac.
  5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

just to add to the fine advice above. after removing the alternator wire and if there is still a draw then remove your fuses one at a time to see if the draw falls off. this may give you a clue to chase down.
  6. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

unplug the battery overnight....if when you plug it in in the morning it works, the problem is probably not the battery..
  7. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

Or... take it to any of the auto parts chain stores that will diagnose your battery, charging system for free. you've got better things to do with your time.

If they find a problem, you'll need the part they want to sell you anyway and if they don't find the problem you can then start wasting your time troubleshooting.
  8. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Man, Oh, Man That sounds _exactly_ like sumpin' my wife would say; along with really dumb things like "let's stop and ask directions".
    What, you got no ambition, no drive, no courage to figure things out on your own?!
  9. tomcl

tomcl LawnSite Member

My battery is good--can jump it and run for 10 15 minutes then use it all day--the drain is slower--also I have been disconnecting the neg post at night and starts ok in the am--I'll try the test light trick--I'm leaning towards a bad alt, so this will help

thanks alot for all the help--
  10. tomcl

tomcl LawnSite Member

OK--I have a short--I disconnect the pos cable and have 11.5 volts between post and cable--Disconnect batt wire from alternator--still have voltage--Disconnect the regulator and all voltage goes away--could this be a bad regulator??