Battery Impact Driver

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by malblackbelt05, Jun 25, 2011.

1. malblackbelt05

malblackbelt05 LawnSite Member

Anybody out there keep one of these in the truck for changing blades, tires, etc. in the field? If so, what brand are you using and why, and what was the price. I'd like a 3/8 one if possible but the 1/2 put out way more torque. Thanks in advance

2. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a dewalt 1/2" 18v. It makes changing blades and tires so much easier. And no air compressor and hoses running everywhere.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

THIS! I use the same one, best thing I have ever bought!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Ryobi 1/4 drive for small stuff and a Northern tool 1/2 for blades and such. I think I'm going to try the Ryobi 1/2 small size one also since I already have the batteries and car charger. It is suppost to put out 200 ft pounds witch should be plenty for its compact size.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Uhm, no :nono:

To each their own, but I won't take a chance of finding my tool doesn't have power when I need it the most.
    Plus, impacts can't do everything, only some things, usually a matter of space constraints.

So Hand tools first.
    Impact second.
    And swap the blades at home!

For this reason I have a pretty complete air tool setup at the house,
    most everything you'd need, certainly enough to cover the simple repairs
    such as the ones you mentioned.

And a tool box full of hand tools in the truck, it has most of the common tools so I use it mostly
    for the emergencies although it has enough tools in it to cover a wide variety of repairs,
    leaving out only the more complicated (such as strut shocks).
    This tool box also covers any at home repairs the air tools do not.

The special tool set (that includes tools for specific and generally difficult jobs) I keep at home as well.

What I'm getting at...
    Is you want to come prepared.
    One silly little rechargeable 18v noise maker isn't going to cut it, sorry.
    In my opinion you'd be better off spending that money on getting your hand tool sets complete.
    They never run on power, they always work and are always ready.
    So what if it takes you 5, 10 minutes longer?

Better off having all the simple tools you need, than having the best tool in the world when it can't do the job.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I pretty much agree with Tops in that they aren't needed. On the other hand I decided to take another look when Sears came out with one for $120. I picked up a cheap set of sockets for $16 so I don't have a lot invested. The Sears one is 19V.....it is a line of stuff. So far I am very happy with it and it has a 2 year full replacement warranty.

7. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I bought one of these at the start of the season. On/Off...the thing runs for probably a couple seconds???? I only change blades in my shop. But, I charged the battery before the 1st time I used it.......and I haven't charged it, since. It's still working - fine. If it loses charge, it'll cost me 10min's???

This is a tool to make my life easier (like any other). I like it.

8. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

If my guys need to change the blades in the middle of the day Ill send them with my 1/2" 18v dewalt and a freshly charged battery. Works well. When we change blades at the shop the 1/2" pneumatic gets used though.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Just picked this up a few days ago...$300 for a rebuilt one.

P1010033.JPG

10. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I have an 18v snap on as well. I think I have a bigger model. I love mine. No need to drag out an airhose and I can easily work on equipment in barns with no electricity or air.