Battery Impact Driver

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by malblackbelt05, Jun 25, 2011.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the 18v dewalt as well. Had it for about 4 years. Been a time saver many times. Had a blowout on the trailer this week. In no time I was back on the road.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 18v dewalt and its defiantly one of the best things I ever bought. I always change blades at lunch and sometimes change them again for the last few lawns so it works wonders for me. I use it in the shop also even though we have air and a impact rigth there. Its just faster and easier. I bet I go for two weeks on a charge. It only runs for a split second per blade.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Bosch 1/2" 18V. I think the model was 21618. I mainly bought it because a dealer on Ebay had a smoking deal on them. $200 shipped minus Bing cashback at the time. I emailed Bosch to make sure they were legit, then purchased it.

I have to say, I was expecting it would do blades pretty easily, but thought it might struggle with the lugs on my F350. But for $170 to my door, I figured I couldn't beat it. Well, it turns out it doesn't have trouble with anything that I have thrown at it. To boot, it was made assembled in the U.S. I was pleasently surprised by this purchase.

They don't make this particular model anymore, but this is the replacement http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=HTH181-01

4. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

You guy put the blades back on with the impact, or just use it for busting them loose?

I change my blades every couple days, so the bolts are pretty easy with just a ratchet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

I put mine back on with the impact. I sure hope you don't ever have a hand UNDER the deck to use a ratchet or hold a wrench. I almost limited my counting ability to 9 doing that. Blood every where. Bought the dewalt the next day.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see it guys...

Say what you like, but if electric impacts are all the rage, what's the purpose for air tools?
    Now I can't remember but if I had to guess at the reason why I never bought an electric impact would be most likely a cost issue.

That's fine, all I'm saying is don't go out spending $100 on an electric impact when you don't even have a
    decently FULL set of hand tools, but I don't think I meant you, I am using this opportunity to clarify as much.

As for air tools, I can name dozens of uses, once you have a tank and compressor, impacts are hardly the only use.

7. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

18V DeWalt fan here too. I wanted one after using a friends to help him change the sweeps on his field cultivator (60 or 70 of them at least). Being I have 18V DeWalt tools already I went with the same brand and with 300 ft. lbs I am more than happy.

And Topsites before you go preaching on your pedestal about handtools again, I have enough to supply 3 or 4 mowing crews with enough to tackle basic problems they might encounter in a week. I am not running several crews but I do like the fact there is not an air hose to drag around, I don't have to listen to a compressor run, and if I want to take it 10 miles from the house I don't have to take a compressor and generator with me.

I use it to remove and install blades, and babies are still born naked!

8. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I managed to pick up a new Craftsman 20v lithium ion impact on Ebay. It didn't have a battery but I already had an extra battery for my drill. It has 1200 ft lbs of torque. Must've been a slow day when I purchased it as I picked it up for only $45.

9. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

especially when working alone on blade changes (Vs. blocking blade with 2x4 and holding mower and fiddling with blades

10. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

1200 ft lbs torque is pretty optomistic ,bet its more like 300 or less .Whats the model # ?