1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigdaddyspags, Oct 9, 2003.

1. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

I have a walker mower with an electrical problem I can’t figure out. I was hoping some one might have some advice for me before I have to pay someone to fix it. The problem I’m having is that it doesn’t seem to be charging the battery. I spent a good part of today trouble shooting, but got nowhere. It was a new engine this spring, so at this point I’m thinking that the magneto and such are in working order. I replaced the battery, it was really old anyway. I redid all of the questionable connectors I saw. I even replaced the ignition switch and electric PTO switch, because they had been finicky a few times this year. So now I can charge the battery, and get about 15 minutes of mowing before the battery gets so low that the electric clutch disengages. Any ideas? It is a single cylinder Kohler Magnum 16 HP.
  2. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Did you also post in the repair forum?
  3. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

check for fuses arround starter , went through the same thing for 2 weeks found fuse, not blown but melted on end, getting bad connection on a 26 kohler , also put meter on battery to see if its charging , good luck
  4. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

I guess i didn't realize there was a repair forum, sorry, maybe the moderator will move this thread.
  5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Also check for proper grounding.
  6. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I take it that you stuck a new engine on your walker. When you picked out a replacemant engine, did you go to a dealer and get a right replacement engine? The reason I ask this is the engine you have may not be able to charge enough to keep the battery charged when a electric clutch is pulling off it. If you go to a dealer to get a engine, they should have crossed it with one that will be a replacement engine and work. Check with a meter and see if it is charging. good luck
  7. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

Had the same thing happen on a DC the mounting screws on the voltage regulator (little black box on the side of the engine with like 3 wire plugged into it) were loose. Bad ground like lawn boy said. also the regulator could be bad if it's not Just a fuse.
  8. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

check the regulator as mentioned above, I am told the ground on the regulator can become loose and create this problem.

I had the same problem with my 20hp walker, finally I took it in, the paper work said they cleaned it up and flipped the PTO safety switch upside down, don't know if that is all they did but have not had a problem since.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What about a battery bubbling/boiling over? Anyone ever run into that on a mower?

Kelly, your avatar is awsome!!! I didn't know it was possible to do that. Kewl...
  10. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

Batteries can boil when over charged could it be wrong size battery or bad regulator allowing too much voltage to the battery could cause that