Battery Jump Starting

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Fantasy Lawns, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I just learned that Jumping a Battery on my Lazer caused the PCM to fry

After running out of fuel on the 26 EFI .... it is a serious pain in the butt to get her restarted which lead to the battery draining .... than using a jump box this lead to the PCM failure

It's a learning experience for me .... this unit has 1300 hrs in 2.5 years ..... I have jumped the Walkers (won't do that to the EFI one thou)

Any ways my ?? is HOW COME THE MANUFACTURE CAN'T BUT A SIMPLE WARNING STICKER IN THE BATTERY AREA WARNING OF POSSIBLE DAMAGE TO THE PCM

Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Steve,

OUCH! That one hurt.

I'm not sure if we've ever asked ourselves that question.

I believe the current manual warns of proper jump starting practices but I'm not sure about the 26 hp EFI.

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll pass it along asap to the staff.

Terry

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure it's in the manual .... just a simple sticker to remind the "monkey's" .... we had "jump" it before ..... just this one time ..... more than likely it was a key of events

mower ran out of fuel .... than while a bunch of guys push er to better spot .... the o2 sensor got disconnected .... than while cranking she was never going to start due to the disconnected sensor .... than battery dies ... than continued use of the jump box until it is realized the sensor is disconnected ..... than continued try to crank with the jump box ..... than overnight charge of battery

I'd say it was the multiple use of the jump box .... what really hurts is that was Tuesday n today is Thursday n I'm waiting on the phone call which should be today

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Fantasy,

Sorry to hear about the down time. If you request it Kohler is pretty good about air freighting parts but it's pretty pricey sometimes.

I passed your suggestion along to our "monkeys" and will hafta wait and see if they add a decal.

Thanks

Terry