Battery life question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cajuncreole, Apr 25, 2007.

1. cajuncreole

cajuncreole LawnSite Member

I have a one year old Exmark 27 hp Kohler. It has the factory no maintenance battery still in it. A friend just gave me a new "Wal-Mart" battery with 325 cold crank amps the same as the factory battery. The new battery is a conventional maintenance battery.

Should I take the factory battery out and put it on the shelf for back up? OR Should I leave the factory battery in and leave the new conventional battery on the shelf for back up? How long will the new battery keep on "The shelf?"

I appreciate anyones insight.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Keep the original battery in the machine. If its like all of our mowers it will last at least 5 years.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah it should last a long time, but if you're storing the machine in the cold during the winter, it's a good idea to remove the battery and store it inside where it's warm. If the battery loses charge and it's cold enough, the electrolytes can freeze, expand, and crack the battery case.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am kinda surprised at that kind of life....could you estimate how many starts you do a year? We probably do 3000 starts a year and battery life is maybe a couple years.

5. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

save it for a spare... if you want it to last as a spare for a long time, take out the acid and fill it years down the line when u need it.

i have had "no maintenence" batteries get to cold in the winter and freeze a tad and bent the plates.

but again, if yours is working, dont replace it.... buy a pre-cooked chicken. .. instead.

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

while were on the subject who makes some of the better after market battery's for ZTR's.

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I use AC Delco batteries in everything, they use a patented process for sealing around the post so there is no escaped gases to cause corrosion. I never have any corrosion on a battery, if you see any it comes from gases escaping from around the post. I did not know this until a few years back and since the change I have never had any battery problems at all. I personally would not use any other battery because I have had zero corrosion and no battery failure since changing to AC Delco.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

It's too bad Optima doesn't make a small engine battery.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Interstate batteries make some nice ones. The sp-40 workaholic battery is the right size for the commercial ZTRs.

I agree about optima batteries. That would be great if they made them for our types of applications!

10. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not return the new Walmart battery?