Battery life

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bayrat, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

My Gravely 260Z is not quite two years old. It sat in my barn for about six weeks since I washed it after the last mowing and the battery went dead. It is not taking more than a 2 amp charge, odd for a dead battery.

The machine has that worthless IQ computer on it so I am wondering if there is a memory in that thing draining the battery. This did not occur last year during layup.
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Because of the way mowers are used only a few months out of the year it is not uncommon to only get a year or two use out of them. Sitting really does a number on lead-acid batteries. I have know some people to have to replace them every year. To make a battery last thought the off season you really need to disconnect it and hook it up to an automatic "trickle" charger.
  3. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I do basically this. I got what is called a battery maintainer, two older ones from wal mart had nice brackets for permanent mounting. Using one on a JD lx-277 lawn tractor purchased new in spring of 2000, I am still using original battery. It started fine two days ago.
    I have maintainers mounted on my Scag, and a big Honda generator.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Two years is about right on warm days i start all my mowers and let em run a while.
  5. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

battery in my eXmark is 3 1/2 year old
    and no maintainer or charger
  6. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

Battery in my Harley, the four in my boat and in my truck which mostly sits in the winter have no problem it seems. Perhaps it is a junk brand, I better look.
  7. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

try Interstate batteries