Battery light on JD 757

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DLCS, Sep 5, 2006.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey guys my battery charge light will not go out on my JD 757. Starts up and runs fine but light stays on. Dealer says its probably just the voltage regulator, I ordered a new regulator tonight. Has anyone here had the same problem? If so whatwas the cure.

2. DLCS

Well, it wasn't the regulator. Any suggestions?

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Mike,
    Just saw this in another thread. any chance this could be your problem?

If its a Kawi twin I have seen a lot of units Cub,Lesco viper/Ztwo(same H@ different dress) They mount the charge wire with a single connector on the voltage regulator and they tend to come loose, fall off or just vibrate on the connection and arch. It's so common that its the first place I look when someone tells me their mower is not charging the battery.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What engine is on this unit ? Have you put a multimeter across the battery post with engine running at wide open throttle to see if it is charging or not ?

5. DLCS

25hp horizontal Kawasaki. Yes we used a ohm meter and its not charging. Wide open throtal, we only get 12 volts. Funny thing is that it happened the day after I washed it. I first thought maybe i got something wet but I don't know now.

6. DLCS

I've checked all the connections and wires. The first thing I thought was maybe a wire was loose.:confused:

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Mike, Since you have a multimeter perform the test below. Since you have a new regulator on there this test will tell you if the stator is bad or you have a unit wire harness problem.

FH721 Stator Test.jpg

8. DLCS

Thanks, nice instructions.:) I'll test it out tomorrow and get back to you.

9. DLCS

Rob,

Everything tests out out ok. I even had my dealer check also to be sure. Kinda has us puzzled on why the light is still on. Mechanic said to run it cause everything is fine. He thought maybe there is a diode somewhere that has gone bad and is keeping the light on but its not shown on the diagrams. I ran it all day Saturday and no problems, going to try it tomorrow but I'm sure it will be fine. Just is strange.:confused:

10. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

have you checked your fuses?