battery operated hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by kandalawncaremgr, Jan 20, 2013.

1. kandalawncaremgr

kandalawncaremgr LawnSite Member

Looking into possibly adding battery operated trimmers. Anyone use them, if so what's the pros and cons, I would like to hear. I just can't seem to master gas ones.

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you using this machines for commercial use:nono:

3. kandalawncaremgr

Well mostly residential. But yes for company use. Don't really get a lot of trimming jobs. Just looking for people who have them and use them.

4. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

I don't use battery powered hedge trimmers, but I do use a battery powered pole saw as well as a battery powered chainsaw. Here's my point of view based off my experience with these:

Pros:
    -Maintenance for these tools is very minimal.
    -If they're sitting for an extended amount of time, you don't have to worry about fuel going bad.
    -No time spent waiting for the engine to warm up.

Cons:
    -Battery life is really short for most all b/o lawn equipment, so you typically want a few spare batteries.
    -Overall power and RPMs of b/o tools are marginally less than traditional gas powered equipment, making some jobs take longer than they would otherwise.
    -If left in an open trailer or the back of a truck, electronics are more prone to damage from the elements.

5. kandalawncaremgr

I'm sure there much lighter also. I'm purchasing new trimmers this spring and I'm not sure just what I want. That's why I posted to get the great feedback from other lco.

6. zechstoker

Just for clarification, are you referring to string/line trimmers or hedge trimmers?

7. kandalawncaremgr

Hedge trimmers. To trim hedges. I have echo gas trimmers .

8. zechstoker

Oh, okay. I'm not sure if they're still hanging out on this forum, but there were some guys here who ran b/o hedge trimmers. They weren't doing a lot of trimming with them, but the tool seemed to do the job for them. Some of this was discussed in a thread I started last year. If you want, I can shoot ya the link to that thread.

9. kandalawncaremgr

Yea if ya wouldn't mind that would be great. Thanks

10. a clear difference lawn

a clear difference lawn LawnSite Senior Member