battery operated line trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nevets93, May 10, 2008.

1. nevets93

nevets93 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I need a recomendation on a battery operated line trimmer, i don't care if it self feeds and all that mess, i just need it to do a good job and hold a good charge cause i have a 2 acre yard that has a lot of trimming. Electric and gas trimmers are out of the question cause gas prices are ridiculous and cords are anoying, so yea...help me out. Price range- $free-$130

2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Worry about gas price for a little trimmer!!!! You are going to kill your back and arms using a battery trimmer for 2 acres. Look for a very small trimmer with Strato charged type ( not necessary Redmax, Maruyama has it too). Get a 20cc or under, one gallon goes a loooooooong way. My little Echo hedge trimmer with 21.2cc engine, the gas level don't even move after a long session of trimming. You kill your arm before you burn a gallon!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

3. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

if i were you i would buy a gas trimmer just because the battery operated trimmers don't hold up as well. if your just trimming your 2 acres i bet it will cost you under $20 to trim your yard for the entire year.

4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

It is doubtful if a battery operated trimmer would hold a charge long enough to trim your yard. I think that most of those are for the small 1/4 acre or less properties.

As far as gas prices go, even in todays market I doubt that you would spend more than $20 per year on gas for your trimmer - and that's with a lot of trimming. There is a reason that professionals use gas equipment. It is reliable and economical.

I see nothing but disappointment if you end up with a battery operated trimmer.

5. nevets93

nevets93 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

wow i didnt know how cheap it was to use a gas trimmer...well any recomendations on a gas trimmer. $130 max. weight isnt an issue either.

6. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

you get what you pay for you can go to wally world and spend 60 and it will last for 60 days or you can get like a echo from home depot and it will last you for 6 year for about 200

7. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

If you want to be really cheap, Echo GT200?? The curve shaft Echo in HD and OSH for $169, not recommend though, it hurt you back.

For 2 acres, I would get a nice one, comfort is very important. You are going to spent hours on it!!!!

8. nevets93

nevets93 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

ok so, give me a recomendation for $200

9. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

echo straight shaft like i believe is a p 230 or somethign like thatm but as the above post said the curved will hurt like a biotch so the straight will def be better

10. nevets93

nevets93 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

how good is the 210? it is a strait shaft