Battery operated valve issues.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Jul 27, 2014.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Troubleshooting and locating has been extremely slow this summer in Jeff. I made a few calls to my suppliers and spoke to the branch managers hoping that they could shed some light on the subject. Each manager had about the same response, nobody is calling so everything must be working.

I also asked each of the managers if sales of nodes, tbos and other similar actuators was up over the past few years. Hell yes they are! Selling at record rates.

As I've stated previously, we as an industry are shooting ourselves in the foot circumventing wiring issues by installing these devices.

My question is what's going to happen when the batteries die and due to home sales, new owners, maintainance practices and changes in maintenance companies. Shoot we all ***** about following hap hazard companies and the end results.

Does anybody have any ideas about what's going to happen when the batteries die, the valves are MIA and the waters not coming on?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. mitjin

mitjin LawnSite Member

I have only installed a few of these and on small tiny 500 sq foot lawns. I also install them right next to the water source.

I hear your concerns, I guess we will have to hard wire and install conventional valves once those batteries die on the old existing systems.

3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

They will call you to trace the wires and you can gouge them.:cool2:

4. JaegerDE

JaegerDE LawnSite Member

Can't you just replace the batteries and carry on?

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

You have to know where they are...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Time to invent a locator that finds old, dead batteries!

7. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

It's like a treasure map...We just had a large hoa tell us we needed to make an as built map showing all heads and pipe size etc...on a 20 year old system we ddidn't install, simply cause we've done the repair for 7 years. 120 valves...used to be 7 of those crappy rb battery operated timers until my brother spent his own time tracing the wires. Construction company cut the wires in a median island and punted.

They also make configuring a complicated or restricted watering schedule much more difficult.
    Posted via Mobile Device