Battery Opperated Controler

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Tommy Boy, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

I'm planning a system that due to the location, power is not availble. I need a small battery opperated controler that will work 2 - 4 zones any help would be appericated.

I plan on using this in a manifold system so the valves will be in the same box. Item should be somwhat rugged

Thanks again Rain Gods
  2. Oh man you are a funny one. Hunter seems to be the current favorite among battery operated timers.
    I've used once. Seems okay but I'd avoid battery operated timers if at all possible.
  3. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

TBOS and Nelson. Like Fimco says, avoid if at all possible.
  4. Then if you really want to spend the leit solar timer( big bucks!

Oh,yea you said battery luck I have and use all the time, another vote for Hunter.
  5. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

I'm a big hunter fan and have switched to mostly the hunter product line from rb over the past few years, but I have to admit that we have installed about 4 dozen or so of the rainbird easy rain solenoids and have had NO problems with them, yes they are a pain to program but they are so reliable that we have had no reason to even try a different brand.
  6. What does Hunter make better than RB? Why the switch? Hunter clocks look flimsy, their popups can't come close to RB, RB makes better valves in my opinion. RB plastic nozzles are superior. I'm not getting this Hunter is great thing. I've tried some of their stuff and am not impressed. They still make a great rotor though.
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We have tried many different brands/models over the years and have settled on the Hunter WVC system. Works great for us but would be kinda spendy for the homeowner.
  8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Mileage will vary by region... but in my area/experience... accountability.
  9. I would agree that goes a long way.
  10. I like Hunter cuz them pay for my golf...and my beer.....and my fun....

I have used the hunter battery ops...and they work fine......the 4 zoner is quite nice.....althought programming it the first time was tough. And I can use it with previously installed RB valves....don't have to be specific to the type of valve like some of the others...

Saves from buying a separate controller thingie from Rainbird that I would lose or break....

are there other options?