Battery or Charging System on Kohler Command

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lakesidecutter, Nov 12, 2007.

1. lakesidecutter

lakesidecutter LawnSite Member

I need some ideas on how to identify the difference in the charging system and battery issues. I put a volt meter on the battery and it reads just over 12.0-12.4 prior to start. When it starts, it drops slightly and levels back out just under this reading about .2 difference. With full throttle, I engage the PTO and it will drop off to about 11.5 or 11.6. After shutting down the PTO the reading jumps back to the original starting point around 12.0. Any help would be great, this is my first electrical or battery type issue.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

With the engine running at full throttle/no load it should be putting out over 13.5 volts.

There are tests that are required to see which component needs replacing. I recommend that you get a Kohler Command factory service manual (about $15 from your local dealer or Ebay) to pinpoint which part needs replacing.

Before you do anything make sure all of the wires are in good shape and the connectors are clean and tight.
  3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

if it's on a walker, the first thing i would do is make sure the wires on the back of the motor behind the plate aren't damaged. That's common. There's a purple and two white wires that connect to a plug and go into the regulator/ rectifier.

Chances are, its the regulator/rectifier. Common issue. Two screws remove it and if you bring it to your kohler dealer, they have , or should have a tool from kohler to check them.

You should see 13.5 minimum no load as said above. Even with PTO on, you should be seeing over 12.6 volts.
  4. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

^^^I'm with them^^^