Battery powered string trimmer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rpearlberg, Jun 11, 2012.

1. rpearlberg

rpearlberg LawnSite Member

I need to get one for my father-in-law for Father's Day. What is the best one for under $150?

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

3. gob71

gob71 LawnSite Member

I have used the Ryobi 18v Lithium Ion one for over 2 years and it would do the house and edging on the lithium battery. I still have it. It was a pretty good amount. Sometimes it would require a change to one of my spare old style batteries. Overall it did pretty good. The only reason I upgraded to a gas Stihl was I wanted a better blower attachment(ryobi blower was ok but ate through battery charge) and a tiller attachment. I still use the ryobi some when I don't need but a touch up on the grass.
  4. Xader

Xader LawnSite Member

I've got a slightly older version of this one, and for small jobs - trimming edges and around shrubs where mower can't reach - it works just fine.

I never seem to have a problem finishing the job on one battery, though it comes with two, but I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it for heavy jobs (i.e. clearing plots, etc).

The head also rotates 180* for edging.

Also, it's very lightweight. I have no problem operating it one-handed if I need to hold a shrub out of the way or something like that.