1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Battery powered string trimmer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rpearlberg, Jun 11, 2012.

1. rpearlberg

rpearlberg LawnSite Member

I need to get one for my father-in-law for Father's Day. What is the best one for under $150?

2. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

3. gob71

gob71 LawnSite Member

I have used the Ryobi 18v Lithium Ion one for over 2 years and it would do the house and edging on the lithium battery. I still have it. It was a pretty good amount. Sometimes it would require a change to one of my spare old style batteries. Overall it did pretty good. The only reason I upgraded to a gas Stihl was I wanted a better blower attachment(ryobi blower was ok but ate through battery charge) and a tiller attachment. I still use the ryobi some when I don't need but a touch up on the grass.

4. Xader

Xader LawnSite Member

I've got a slightly older version of this one, and for small jobs - trimming edges and around shrubs where mower can't reach - it works just fine.

I never seem to have a problem finishing the job on one battery, though it comes with two, but I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it for heavy jobs (i.e. clearing plots, etc).

The head also rotates 180* for edging.

Also, it's very lightweight. I have no problem operating it one-handed if I need to hold a shrub out of the way or something like that.