1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Battery powered trimmer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by 829, May 12, 2008.

1. 829

829 LawnSite Member

I am not a professional lawn care guy, just a home owner tired of sucking up lawn trimmer smoke and going deaf.

I am looking for a reliable battery powered lawn trimmer, can anyone point me in the direction of a decent machine? They are all about the same price in the store ><$20 difference. I have not picked one up that is anymore heavy than my trusty old 2-cycle. I am mostly concerned with battery death.

Thank you in advance.
  2. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

Some of my family members have Black and Decker cordless trimmers and as far as battery powered stuff goes I guess they're not too bad. They don't seem very powerful though. I think it may take you twice as long to trim your yard than with your gas powered one.
  3. 829

829 LawnSite Member

My mom has a B&D and only gets about 20 minutes.
  4. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Get some ear plugs and some Opti2 2-stroke oil - SMOKELESS.....:usflag:
  5. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Would you ID that monster please? And is it a 50/1 gas/oil mixture? I have not noticed either of those problems with mine, so that's why I ask. I was a little reluctant to fire mine up yesterday since it was Mother's day and didn't want to upset the neighbors. But heavy rain was being forecast (we sure got it today) and I wanted to get the the string trimming over with. No one seemed to even notice the noise.
  6. 829

829 LawnSite Member

Tried ear plugs, they hurt my ears when unrolling and I would still smell the combustion.

I do not have the model off the top of my head, but it is an 8 years old homelite.
  7. LarryF

Thanks. Some of the old Homelites were cheaply built and required a lot of oil per gallon of gas. The gas/oil ratio might have been somewhere between 32/1 and 25/1 which naturally causes a lot of smoke. The mufflers they used weren't very effective either. I had one and didn't like it for not only the objections you stated but because it was hard to start and not too dependable at continuing to run. So I bought a Stihl, which seemed to be highly rated by the pros on this forum and it made a world of difference. The string advance on it is much better than that of the Homelite, which is another big benefit. It was pricey compared to the Homelite, but well worth it to me.

Unless you have a very small amount of trimming to do, I suspect you won't be too happy with a battery-powered machine that may require recharging before you are finished with what you are working on. Before you go in that direction, why don't you demo some of the highly recommended gas trimmers such as Stihl, Redmax or Shindaiwa? You may find they are much quieter and not as smoky as your Homelite. I didn't get the top-of-the-line Stihl, by the way. Mine's an FS-45.
  8. 829

829 LawnSite Member

Thank you all for the replies.

My heart is set on a battery powered machine, but I will go to my local stihl and at least give them the once over.
  9. LarryF

Well, if it's an affair of the heart, I guess there's little point in providing a counter argument.

I just used my Stihl again this morning and while thinking of your post, I focused on the smoke and noise. There was no visible smoke, and the noise was negligible at slow speed which is how I usually run it. Even at wide open speed which does little more for me than use up a lot more trimmer line, the noise isn't very objectionable. Another nice feature of these new Stihl trimmers is the ease of loading new string. I hadn't paid any attention to that when I bought mine, but I sure appreciate that aspect every time I do have to do a string reload. I suggest you ask the dealer for a demo of that as well.

By the way, I found the Owner's Manual for my old Homelite. It used a gas/oil mix of 16/1 or greater than a factor of 3 more oil than the Stihl. No wonder it smoked heavily. But it's probably a lot older than yours. Good luck!
  10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel you would be converted were you to use a commercial trimmer, instead of that homelite, but if you are dead set on battery here is one I have seen on TV. I know nothing about it, but it does look like it might be a suitable unit if the charge time is adequate for you.Worx GT

This is probably the wrong place to search for advice on a battery operated trimmer though. You are asking people who have to use commercial and heavy duty equipment for advice on an item which would not perform in a capacity required by us. My advice is to go and try a commercial unit before spending the money on a battery operated trimmer. The difference in ease of use will amaze you. If you want comfortable ear protection use Howard Leight Multi Max, as they are tapered and can be used in small or large ears depending on the orientation. For a drastic reduction in the smoke and smell, use Amsoil or Opti2. Check out that worx unit though, you may find it sufficient. At first I think I was getting you confused with another who inquired about a battery operated trimmer for use on a two acre lot.