Battery Size for 14.5 horse riding mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fjacky, May 4, 2008.

1. fjacky

fjacky LawnSite Member

Hello,

2 years ago I bought a new 233 cold cranking amps battery for my riding mower. It is already dead. Would my mower work fine if I purchased a 160 cold cranking amps battery? I can get a real real good deal on it and was hoping it would do the trick. Or should I go with the 233 or even a 300+?

Thoughts?

2. fjacky

fjacky LawnSite Member

Just to update.

I am not sure of the motor type, but it is a 2000 Sabre (by John Deere) riding mower. Very plain jane. No instrument panel gauges. Think a 160 cold cranking amp battery would do the trick?

3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 190 cranking amp battery from O'Reilly's last May for my back up mower. It was dead by November -- got that one adjusted and the replacement was dead by this April.

Went to Walmart and got a 350 cranking amp battery for 25.95 which included the tax with a trade in. I'd recommend a 350 amp battery for no more than this one cost.

Nosmo

4. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I'd buy the biggest battery that would fit in the tray, Delco if they made one that size. That's just me though. Have you tried charging it? How do you know the battery is no good?