battery talk

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by stslawncare, Apr 11, 2002.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey guys i got a few questions on batterys.

when a piece of equip says it runs of a battery, like a salt spreader for a tractor, or something, does that mean it runs of the tractor battery? and the same for with a truck? I am also thinking for lights? can the lights or whatever is running extra run without the tractor being on?

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i think it might be a 12-volt aux. battery for spreaders, but lights might be on the main one

3. stslawncare

from DE

aux battery? explain, i know nothing abuot batterys lol. basically what im looking for is something to power lights, and if they can be left on when engine isnt working, where do i put it? how do i make switches etc etc

4. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

If you want another battery to hook up other stuff like lights, add another battery somewhere, and somehow hook both the batterys up to the alternator. To wire in lights, make sure you have a good switch and a FUSE installed in case a short occurs. Did I make any mistakes in my ideas, guys? :) By the way, what are you working on that you would like to do this? That'll help me out.:)

5. stslawncare

from DE

its for my tractor, 22 year old 16 hp craftsman

6. Robert Doubrava

B&S, I persume?? lol:) On my G-pa's ridin' mower, you can run the lights, but it'll run the battery down. And for aux. power, add another battery. Does this help a little? Kinda?:)

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Robert!!!!, glad to see you came back!!!!:)

8. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

A friendly reminder: Please try and keep the discussion on the topic as much as possible - "chatting" type posts are best left to E-mail or Private Message since they take up space on the board that could be better used to help answer the question(s)

Now, to the question about batteries: Before you start adding additional batteries and wiring them into the charging system, make sure you know what you're doing or you will end up frying expensive parts. Wiring diagram is highly recommended. Remember that the charging systems (if so equipped) on these small engines were designed to start the engine and juice the battery back up, not run a whole bunch of extra equipment. Truck systems are considerably heavier-duty, but even then if there is a lot of stuff to run like winch/plow etc a second battery and higher output alternator are often needed.

Anytime the lights or accessories are on with the engine not running you will be draining the battery. Doesn't matter what you have - tractor or truck - the alternator only puts out amps when turning.

Switches you don't make, you buy. Fuse each circuit for protection, make sure the fuse is installed between the battery and the switch.

9. stslawncare

from DE

thanks for the help, i know running battery without engine running will drain, but once i start it will it charge right back up? basically what i want to run are two backup lights (for backing up and when unhooking attachments in dark), a warning light (for plowing or roadside work), and a radio (i love music). it already has headlights that run off the main battery. can anyone give me some help on how i would do this?

10. Robert Doubrava

What type of warning light? A rotator or a strobe light. (By the way, strobes save your battery 'cause they don't need a motor.)
    If yur engine has an alternator, it should charge it back up. :)