Battery trickles down even with key off?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowisme, Nov 25, 2012.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering on this GX620 Honda if I might have something wired wrong or if it is just the battery. after charge and sitting a week battery is dead. I have the positive wire going from battery to a 5 terminal 3-position switch. as far as I know the switch in 'off' position grounds the engine stop diode. And in the 'on' position activates the carb selonoid and also powers a momental switch that goes to a electric motor for a chute control. I don't think either of these have power when switch is off..I'll have to re-test though. would the 20a retifier/regulator cause the drain? it has a direct hot wire to it from battery (factory)- Thanks always! Gene
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Just disconnect the battery and see if it still goes dead.
  3. mowisme

Thanks Richard- man such a simple check and I made it complicated!..Dah. Thanks
  4. BradLewisLawnCare

BradLewisLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I had a solenoid go bad and allow draw. I swapped that and it stopped drawing. just a thought.
  5. mowisme

Thanks Brad- I'm kind of drawing a black here..Is the selonoid also the coil? It is running smooth but not sure on what selonoid you mean. I don't have starter selonoid. Thanks- Gene

Try disconectinh the ground, clip your test light to ground cable and touch test to ground. If you have a draw you will light your tester.
    Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device