1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Battery

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Young's Lawn Service LLC, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Young's Lawn Service LLC

Young's Lawn Service LLC LawnSite Member

I have an exmark laser with a 1 year old motor. Battery keeps going dead. I put a new battery on yesterday and it did fine. Today it has started doing the same thing. The battery is not charging I assume? I shut it off to talk to my customer and would not restart. I jumped it and started and ran fine for a bit then just died like I was out of gas. Jumped it again... started fine.
    Any suggestions?
    I'm thinking maybe the stater?
    Is there anything else it could be?

Any help would be great.

2. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

How about corrosion, are the battery terminals good and clean? Look for loose, or corroded wires, and terminals.

3. Crash

Crash LawnSite Member

Do you own a multimeter? If not go and get one. Check all your powers and grounds, do voltage drops, this will tell you where your problem is.

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Check your fuses. Lazers usually have 2 fuses, 1 for the ignition and 1 for the charge system.If I knew which engine you had , it might be easier to diagnos.

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Using your volt ohmeter, check the battery voltage with the key off. Start the engine then check the voltage at the battery posts. If you have a voltage drop then you likely have a charging coil that is defective or a rectifier/regulator that is bad. You could also check the output from the charging coil by disconnecting the connectors where the two wires come from the charging coil. You didn't mention what engine you have but normally the output from the coil will be any where from 40-70 volts AC.

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Model numbers of the engine and the machine it is on would go a long way in helping you.

7. Young's Lawn Service LLC

Young's Lawn Service LLC LawnSite Member

Its a Kohler CH-730. I found 2 fuses behind the front panel. The one that has 3 wires going into it is melted. So melted that the fuse will not come out. Is this the one for the charging system? Looks like it has been like that for a while?
    I tested the battery and its almost at 13 volts when just sitting there, it drops below 12 when the engine is on and about the same when I engage the blades. Its been lasting about 4 hours, so I've been coming home for lunch and re-charging until I get this resolved.
    I hate electrical problems!